Friday, December 31, 2004

Whoaaa, Dude, that was Awesome

On a lighter note from Haaretz:

A British tourist in Sri Lanka claims that he actually surfed the weekend's tsunami.



Gary Wolf is one of a large group of British tourists that is currently sleeping on mattresses in the conference room of a Colombo hotel. He told Haaretz that he was out on a surfboard when the tsunami hit.



"Suddenly I saw that the rocks near the shore had simply disappeared," he recounted. "At first, I didn't understand what was happening and I concentrated on surfing. When I finished surfing, I discovered that I was on the highway, about half a mile from the beach where my room was. Fortunately, the waves pulled me and my surfboard into shore instead of out into the ocean."



Wolf is a professional surfer who regularly enters international competitions.



"Had I known what was going on, I might not have left the water," he said. "I might have tried to continue enjoying one of those moments that will never recur."


No comments: