Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Interesting Quote of the Day

Regarding the alleged cougar in Iowa City:

"Mountain lions should not be shot just because we don't feel protected ("'Mountain lion hysteria' envelops Iowans," Nov. 26). They were here first. They are very afraid of humans, so they won't cause any killing or hurting people.



If we still don't feel protected, we should make a boundary and build a fence. If any human gets killed or hurt by a mountain lion, then we should really talk and think about the issue." Youngbin Song, Iowa City


Okay, so if Youngbin Song is being mauled by the cougar, everybody stand around and talk and think about things. Sing some songs, light a candle or two.



Me, I'd prefer you shoot it while I've got all my limbs, much less my life.



I'm all for reasonable efforts - track it down and ship it out to a zoo or Montana or something. But when it comes down to me or the wild, I vote for me, thanks. As the "they were here first" remark: are you quite certain the modern version cougar evolved upon the continent of North America prior to the earliest homo sapiens? Or would you like to go back to the lower levels of primates vs. felines? Either way, it seems a rather silly basis on which to build a comprehensive conservation policy. I don't recall them calling "dibs" on the whole planet. As far as this particular mountain lion goes, given that they only live 8 years, I'm pretty sure that I was here first.

No comments: