Monday, December 13, 2004

What I'm Reading

I've noticed a lot of 'what I'm reading' posts lately, so here's my list:



On Thursday, I splurged at Barnes and Noble. I bought Wicked, the Silmarillion, and the Secret Life of Bees.



I also wanted to buy Playing with Boys, Reading Lolita in Tehran, Amelia Peabody's Egypt and Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim, but they'll have to wait.



I finished Wicked on Saturday, it is an incredible book. The first time through anything I read for enjoyment, just to find out what happens next. Then I go back and look at the levels, the symbolism, and how the tale is pieced together. I love how the author turned familiar scenes on their head by a simple 90 degree shift in perspective. I know there's a ton more to mine out of this one, once I brush up on Baum's originals. I read the Wizard of Oz a gagillion years ago, but missed the others. Still, it's highly recommended. Matt's got more on it here.



I'm about a quarter of the way through the Silmarillion now, mainly because there are enough names and places to keep straight that I have to keep flipping back and forth rather than doing a straight read-through. I'm learning a lot of detail about the LOTR background, but the stories read more like exerpts from biblical texts than a novel. Good stuff so far, but not for the casual peruser.



I've also got a couple of classic mystery collections lying out right now, which include versions of the original Psycho (Norman was bald?!) and Double Indemnity, and such. And the latest issue of Glamour.



I think that's it right now.



Oooops, nope. Ellen (Not the Moonbat) says I've got to check out Devils Knot by Mara Leverett. From what she tells me, it sounds fascinating.

No comments: