Sunday, May 29, 2005

Travel Blogging III

Yesterday after I signed off we went over to Audobon Park and walked around the live oaks and fountains and watched Kele play. For dinner, we headed to Jacque-Imo's. Yes, that's a table in the bed of the pickup in front of the restaurant. The inside is really cool, too. Not a big tourist place, more locals. I had blackened redfish, country greens, red beans and rice, and cornbread. Apparently Danette and Mark have had houseguests who are afraid of New Orleans cuisine. I'll try about anything once. This stuff was very good.

After dinner, we went down the riverwalk and saw the boats, more statutes, the cathedral at sunset, and some street performers, including a balloon artist. By the way, the trees have the oddest fruit here. The French Quarter is awesome, of course, with tons of cool cafes. I've probably gained a pound or two despite all the walking.

Then it was time to say goodbye to Mark and Kele - Kele was NOT happy to see mommy and "Miss Kris" go have fun without her. The line at Pat O'Briens was horrendous, so I went straight to the daquiri stands on Bourbon Street. Total for the evening: one daquiri, one "hand grenade", three shots, and a couple of beers. I acquired beads thrown from a balcony (no, I didn't flash anything, thanks), went up onto the balcony where I got this cool shot of the street at night and assisted a guy named Travis who was having trouble getting the girls below to notice him. I whistle loudly.

This morning, we hit the Praline Connection for the gospel brunch. That was a blast.

More later!

No comments: