Thursday, April 15, 2004

PRESS-CITIZEN VS. LOCAL THEATER ROUND II

After checking today's paper, I found no article on any of the three local productions opening this weekend, despite the rather condescending email I received from the P-C folks excerpted and fisked here. There was a couple of sentences in the calendar, but no quotes, no articles, and no reviews of any nature.

I've sent the following email back to the PC. We'll see if I get any better response this time around:


April 15, 2004

JIM LEWERS
MANAGING EDITOR
IOWA CITY PRESS-CITIZEN
1725 N. DODGE STREET
IOWA CITY, IA 52240

TRICIA DEWALL
ASSISTANT MANAGING EDITOR
IOWA CITY PRESS-CITIZEN
1725 N. DODGE STREET
IOWA CITY, IA 52240

Dear Mr. Lewers and Ms. DeWall:

Based on Ms. DeWall’s response to my email, I reserved my opinion regarding the revised GO section until I reviewed today’s paper. I did so with hesitation, as the information regarding the discontinuing of articles on local theater productions was not simply a rumor, as Ms. DeWall seemed to suggest, but had been received directly from Press-Citizen staff by personal friend.

After reviewing the changes, I must say today’s coverage lived down to my original expectations. Three major local theatre productions open this weekend, and not one of the three ranks an article? Yet there seems to be sufficient space for a two-page spread on “Hook Me Up.”

Are you aware that this weekend Dreamwell Theatre is premiering Rosenstraße, a powerful piece about the only successful non-violent protest against the treatment of Jews in Nazi Germany, which was conducted by a small group of unarmed women? What an apt choice for coverage, considering this is National Holocaust Remembrance Week.

Obviously you must have received something on Man of La Mancha from Iowa City Community Theatre, considering you ran the small photo of that production. Couldn’t you have spared a word or two to inform patrons about the considerable talents of Jason Tipsword, the choreographer? I saw you mentioned Jonathon Thull, but said little about his talents beyond his position at Cornell College.

I also note the Old Creamery Theatre production of Social Security is given barely a line, with no information regarding actors whatsoever.

I did scan the “Life” section, Ms. DeWall, as it appeared from your response yesterday that I might find theater articles there. Not a word. As I said in my original email, so much for the “Athens of the Midwest.”

I have copied my acquaintances on this email, to request they stop subscribing to the Press-Citizen until the situation is rectified. To my acquaintances: please forward this email to everyone you know and ask them to do the same, if you care about local theater coverage.

Mr. Lewers and Ms. DeWall, I hope you reconsider your position on this matter.

Sincerely,

No comments: