Monday, April 05, 2004

Cedar also points out here that county doesn't get any money from speeding tickets written by county deputies.



To my knowledge, criminal charges are usually divided between state and municipal ordinances. If you violate a state law (just about everything but parking, jaywalking, and miscellaneous municipal orders), then the citation is taken to a county prosecutor who proceeds against you on behalf of the state - State v. Joe Schmo. The county pays the prosecutor's salary. Again, I didn't use to care much so long as the check was signed. Same deal on the deputies. It is the county who pays their salary, but unless they catch you on a low level parking-type offense, it's the state's law that they're enforcing.



So then the conviction is entered in by the district/associate/magistrate court of x-and-such county, along with court costs. These court costs are where I presume the county's getting some of the money to fund such programs. The fines go to the state.



Why would deputies bother writing tickets if the county doesn't get a cut? I never thought about it. From my perspective, unless it was my money, I really didn't give a d#$% whether it went to the state, the city, the county, or the shah of timbuktu. Just pay me my salary and I'll do my job. The wierd plea deals that have hit the news in the Des Moines Register never occurred in the counties where I worked, at least not to my knowledge.



Actually, I take that back. I wouldn't be shocked if it happened in the last one I worked for, if a particular person was involved with the prosecution.



That said, I wouldn't be opposed to a $5 surcharge. Many counties are hurting for money, and this is the ultimate "sin tax."

No comments: