Tuesday, June 28, 2005

The Kelo Song

OMG this is cool:

Day O (The Banana Court Song)
by Brett Talley


Kelo come and they taking my home
Day Sandra Day Sandra Day Sandra Day O
Kelo come and they taking my home

Thought the Court save my childhood home
(Kelo come and they taking my home)
Too bad team needs another dome
(Kelo come and they taking my home)
Hey Justice Kennedy you bulldozed my cabana
(Kelo come and they taking my home)
Took my life and gave it to the tax mana
(Kelo come and they taking my home)
Day O Sandra Day O
(Kelo come and they taking my home)
Day Sandra Day Sandra Day Sandra Day O
(Kelo come and they taking my home)


Go read the rest.

I will try to do something on at least McCreary before the day is out. Preliminary thoughts: C'mon guys. Lemon's been around since the 70's. You know how to do this. But no, first you try just slapping up the Commandments without any attempt to show a secular purpose. Hmm . . . the ACLU's really going to ignore that one. Then when you figure out you might have to take them down, you modify the exhibit to include secular stuff. Fine. But in designing the display you decide not to include, say, the whole Declaration of Independence. No, that would be, like, too secular. Nope, you include only little snippets of quotes that have the word "God" in them. Slap them right up there next to the Commandments, along with other snippets of other secular documents, but only ones with the words "God" or "Lord" or "Jesus." Heh. That's soooooo sneaky. I can't imagine why the courts saw through that. The third time around, you finally get the exhibit just about right, with full copies of other stuff like the magna carta and the Declaration and the Star Spangled Banner, even little placards explaining their historical significance. Now you just don't understand why nobody believes you when you say you did all this for a secular, educational purpose.

It's not hard, folks. Seriously. Just say to yourself, "If I was really doing this just to educate somebody about the history of our law, how would I include the 10 Commandments, and what else would I put up?" Then do it. Why do you keep trying to get the whole "the government thinks you should worship Jesus Christ" thing past the Court, when for almost forty years you've known how to get away with this?
"The Counties would read the cases as if the purpose enquiry were so naive that any transparent claim to secularity would satisfy it, and they would cut context out of the enquiry, to the point of ignoring history, no matter what bearing it actually had on the significance of current circumstances. . . . "

No comments: