Tuesday, June 21, 2005

10 Things

Milbarge notes the MSN relationship experts have listed the 10 Things Every Single Girl Should Own and 10 Things Every Single Guy Should Own.

I don't feel qualified to remark on the female (translation: guys dig it) stuff, because I've no idea whether men really want me to have an Eminem CD in my collection and a stash of earplugs in case I take some guy home and find out he snores (WTF?). But I do have a few things to say about the guy's list.

First off, the buy nice underwear rule - didn't you learn that in, like, kindergarten? Preschool? If the idea that you don't wear underwear with holes or skidmarks on a hot date hasn't sunk in by now, you've got bigger problems than you realize.

The lamp with a lampshade thing - who notices that??? If what they're getting at is "stop decorating your place in that special 'early frathouse' motif," I'm with that. But a lampshade isn't going to make a damn bit of difference if all his end tables are milkcrates.

For the record, I wouldn't know a $200 pair of jeans from a $75 pair if my life absolutely depended on it. I guess I don't read my Cosmo closely enough.

As for the rest of it: by all means, get a comfortable couch, soft sheets (Not satin or we'll mock you. I mean this.), decent shoes. Learn to cook passably and make a good cup of coffee. Oh, and if the dust bunnies are starting to whine "Feed me, Seymour," please evict them. If nothing else, you'll avoid the helpless male stereotype.

No comments: