Friday, October 08, 2004

Speak for Yourself

The things you learn reading the news . . .



There is apparently a societal cut-off age for shopping at Victoria's Secret:

35-and-older women finally find the right fit

Retailers see huge potential in targeting women who want to dress with style but not look 18.




. . .



Chico's, which now has more than 400 stores, was one of the first to tap into this market with a simple size system, loose-fitting, embellished clothing in natural fabrics, and a knack for helping customers create wardrobes.



It is now testing Soma, a chain of lingerie stores, as a practical alternative to Victoria's Secret, whose sexy, bare-all undergarments may be considered too young for older consumers. . . . .




Who you calling old, babe?



Just because we don't don a puffy pink poncho or bare our butt crack whenever the fashion mags show a picture of Britney doing that?



I've had about the same sense of style since undergrad: Go classic, add in some fun trendy stuff, but shun the blatantly stupid. I grant that I push the envelope occasionally with shorter skirts or high-heeled boots (I love boots). But generally I dress appropriately (costumes aside), while buying clothes from just about everywhere, the "Junior's" departments included.



(Please note the disclaimers before I get a dozen comments about "remember the time you wore. . . ." Hey, everyone's entitled to an off day. Or ten. But if you feel inspired, go ahead and remind me anyway. I was probably too drunk to remember at the time. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)



Despite all the language about remaining "fashionable," the entire article has an undercurrent that screams, "Face it, babe, you old:" bodies changing after childbirth, loose-fitting clothing, wanting to look 'respectable.'



Because we know better than to wear this or this?



I mean, come on. Jennifer Aniston is 35. Halle Berry is 38. Nicole Kidman is 36. Each of them manages to be fairly classy, and still not dress for the "older woman." By the way, I get a lot of my stuff at Vicki's Secret. And I'm not about to start wearing "loose-fitting, embellished clothing." So there, nyah.

No comments: