Monday, January 24, 2005

More Englert Blogging

Nelle put this in my comments, but I think it needs to go up front:



I wish I could comment on Dweezes sight, because 29 just made a comment that I would like to respond to.



I just recently got a flier in the male from the Englert of the artists that will be performing there. NONE of the artists or theater groups are from our local area. I can understand bringing in other shows and performers, but when you make more of a big deal out of them and totally ignore any local groups, I feel that is wrong. ICCT was the biggest pusher for saving the Englert. Having that theater group be one of the the first local groups to perform in the space would be great P.R. for both groups.



We need to do a little shouting. People who donated to the Englert with the idea that ICCT would benefit as well have been miss lead.



Nelle


Dweeze's post is here, to to the comments for 29's response here.



I have to say that while I have nothing against Kottke, I agree with Nelle. As a disclaimer, I need to point out that I am on the ICCT Board. That board is making every effort not to join into the fray publicly, in hopes that an agreement can be worked out. Drafts are in the works, etc., and I'm not going to comment on that at this time. Follow the story starting here and here on Dweeze's site if you want the inside scoop on what happened in the past. I wasn't there, so I can't tell you anything other than the documents that I've seen support his statements.



So this is strictly personal: I count myself in the ranks of the disillusioned. Remember this article?

The Englert is envisioned as a low-cost venue for more than 50 community-based performing groups that have been identified as probable users.



We anticipate having over 120 events per year with use by both nonprofit groups and commercial promoters.



Iowa City Community Theater would give almost all of its performances there.



Almost all of the other performances are expected to be family-oriented, including other amateur theater productions, community music ensembles, dance, barbershop and other choral groups, receptions, concerts by touring musical groups, and lectures.



A perfect example of the latter occurred last Saturday at Irving Weber days, when Bob Hibbs narrated a slide show about the history of Iowa City. As far as we know, that was the first non-film use of the Englert since Gloria Dei held its services there for 21 months after the church was destroyed by fire on Sunday, April 1, 1962.


Or how about this one?

Q. I'm still unclear about what types of things I'll be able to see at a renovated Englert.



A. It's a long list - more than 50 local groups have indicated an interest. It will be the Iowa City Community Theatre's residence, as well as being available to all other troupes. There will be lectures, readings, radio broadcasts, slide and travel presentations, dance performances, auctions, fashion shows, meetings, weddings, receptions, fundraisers and award ceremonies. Not to mention all types of music performances, including "popular operas."


There's tons more out there, but you get the point. Local artists were promised that the theater would be a showcase for community talent. ICCT was to be the 'resident theater', giving almost all of its performances there. Other groups were similarly promised preferred statuts, as it was to be a community project and a community theater. On the strength of these promises, local artists pitched in and raised a ton of money for the project. Iowa City Community Theatre made substantial donations - enough to evicerate it's running capital - on the strength of these representations. So what have we seen booked?

Leo Kottke

Thursday, January 20, 2005 at 8PM



The Second City Touring Company

Friday, February 18, 2005 at 8PM



Big Bad Wolf

The Second City's Children's Theatre

Friday, February 18, 2005 at 10AM



Three Tales with Tails

MadCap Productions Puppet Theatre

Sunday, February 20, 2005 at 2PM



1964 The Tribute

Thursday, February 24, 2005 at 8PM



Gala Grand Opening featuring Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg and Anne Marie McDermott West Music Company, Sheraton Hotel Iowa City, University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics

Wednesday, March 2, 2005 Reception at 6PM, Ribbon Cutting at 7:30PM, Performance at 8PM



Corduroy

TheatreworksUSA

Saturday, March 19, 2005 at 2PM



Leon Redbone

Saturday, April 2, 2005 at 8PM



Tom Sawyer

American Family Theatre

Saturday, April 23, 2005 at 2PM



Beauty and the Beast

American Family Theatre

Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 2PM



The Elves and the Shoemaker

MadCap Productions Puppet Theatre

Saturday, May 22, 2005 at 2PM and 6PM


Do you see anything with the words "Dreamwell," "City Circle," "Iowa City Community Theatre" or even "Riverside" or "Old Creamery" on it? Nope. Why is that? In a nutshell, the rates:

The base rental rate falls under two catagories. Not-for-profit companies can rent for $800 for five hours and for-profit companies can rent for $1,000. This includes the stage, all basic theater sound, lighting and rigging equipment, and use of the box office. A list of extra equipment such as light scrollers, man-lifts and labor costs will be provided on demand. A not-for-profit rental rate of $600 can also be given under work light conditions only with no further technical elements required for rehearsals.


To my knowledge, none of the local theaters can afford these rates. While I understand that the Englert board indicates local theaters should "get them a proposal," I've seen little effort on the part of Eric Kerchner to meet anyone halfway.



I have no problem with another professional touring facility in the area. I see some quality acts here, that will expand the opportunity to attend artistic events in Iowa City. If that's all there is to the analysis, I'd be satisfied. If the funds for the Englert had been raised with the idea of a mini-Hancher or Paramount in mind, I'd be the first to say that the local artists are just whining.



But they weren't. The focus on the Englert project began as local theater and arts. It changed mid-stream and many of the original donors are feeling utterly abandoned. That's the driving force behind the letters you're seeing.



For myself, I wasn't involved with theater at all at the time the Englert project got off the ground in 2000. I gave some to the project, but not enough to feel entitled to much. But the chance to play on the same boards Sarah Bernhardt once graced was in the back of my mind in 2003 when I auditioned for my first post-high school show, and started devoting a gagillion volunteer hours to local theater. Theater is addictive enough that I've kept on even without much hope of ever realizing that vision, but I can imagine the disappointment and anger of those who devoted hundreds of manhours and personal funds to raising money for yet another venue that will cater to out of town touring companies.

No comments: