Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Around the "Net

Instapundit previews the new warning labels for high school science classes.

_____________________________________


Crimlaw features the latest permutation of the Nigerian scam. Read it with a British accent, if you please. They also note the latest on the Michael Jackson trial in their "around the web" roundup: a motion in limine to prevent the prosecution from referring to the child as "the victim" or telling the jury that the prosecuting attorney represents "the people." In my opinion, the first one is odd, but semantically correct as the victim isn't a victim unless there was a crime. However, their solution of referring to him as a "complaining witness" isn't exactly right either, as it also has a negative connotation. Perhaps they should go old-school Agatha Christie and call him the "Witness for the Prosecution." The second objection is not so meritorious, the attorney does represent "the people." It's also rather pointless. Somehow I can't see a juror saying to themselves: "Oh, I'd vote not guilty, but this is my lawyer and if my lawyer tells me he's guilty, then he must be guilty. I guess I'll change my vote."

_____________________________________


Professor Yin's got the scoop on the new Battlestar Galactica. When I was a kid I liked the original, pretty much because I thought Dirk Benedict was kind of cute and it was the 80's - I really didn't know any better. I have caught one episode of the new version. It's a real show, with actual plot lines. Go figure.

_____________________________________


Homercles links to this article: A 40-year-old woman held sex and drug parties with teenage boys, telling police she wanted to be a "cool mom," authorities say. His comment: "Don't mind me, I'm just compiling evidence for the next time someone says schools are failing because of inept teachers." Yep.

No comments: