Monday, March 14, 2005

Hedda Blogging

First, thanks so much to everyone who's made it out for Hedda Gabler for your kind comments. Sunday was the first day I truly felt like I'd nailed it all down, though of course, the rest of the cast is too good to let me fail. But, as I'm really hard on myself and I've had too many compliments from people who do not give them lightly, I'll concede it's been all in my mind and we've all done pretty well throughout the run. Yay!!!!

The audiences have been more sparse than for, say, a big musical like Chicago or Little Shop of Horrors. In fact, we were speculating backstage on Sunday about the type of audience member who would forego a sunny afternoon to watch something as dark as Hedda. It was interesting - the first time my death scene got a laugh. I'm not quite sure how to take that. There are many ways in which it is so ironic that it merits a laugh. Others have speculated that it was just the uncomfortable giggle of people who are suddenly confronted with tragedy and don't know who to take it. But I can't be certain they didn't just like the idea of seeing me dead. Sick bastards . . .

(Just kidding, by the way, particularly for Paula and Vicki.)

The last night you can catch me in the role is this Friday. Either go to the ICCT website in my sidebar or email me if you want ticket info. If you can't make it, you could go Saturday or Sunday and catch Doreen in the part. It's so cool - she plays a very different type of Hedda, more understated, and every relationship in the play takes a 1/4 degree turn to reflect that. I can't wait to go see her Saturday.

No comments: