Friday, December 09, 2005

Weekend Update

So, yesterday we get like six inches of snow and I am wondering how I'm going to get home. I call a friend to come show me how to run the snowblower (thanks, Tom) but then I discover the ex has requisitioned it and taken it over to his Moms . . . who goes to Arizona every flipping winter. Oookay. I ask him if I could stop by and get it, he agrees to take it to a friend's (he claims his truck can't make it in to my place. Like my little car can??). Without the snowblower, there's now much for it but to spend the night elsewhere. So I decide to get as close to the house as I can and walk in, thinking I'd feed the animals and get some clothes and crash at somebody's place in Iowa City. Miraculously, the hills off the highway have been plowed, and I can make it up into the subdivision, where (of course) the plows haven't been. I decide to ditch my car in the first driveway, as the people there have moved and won't be needing it. It took 20 minutes to get my car up off the road enough to leave it, rocking back and forth plowing my own path. Then I get out in my high-heeled boots and skirt, and prepare to hike the block down to my place . . . a neighbor in one of those big trucks takes pity on my and gives me a ride, then he very kindly snowblows the whole street and my driveway so I can get my car home. Yay!!!


______________________________________________


Don't forget to hit the theater this weekend:

Mrs. Bob Cratchet’s Wild Christmas Binge

By Christopher Durang
Directed by Dave Helmuth

December 2 – 11, 2005


Continuing our tradition of alternative holiday fare started with two outstanding runs of “The Santaland Diaries,” we will offer this year Christopher Durang’s irreverent take on Charles Dicken’s “A Christmas Carol”. Told from the bitter, biting point of view of Bob Cratchet’s long suffering wife, this hysterical play offers a somewhat less heartwarming take on the classic, but rife with wicked good humor. The perfect antidote to shopping, sentimental specials, and, well, sappiness.

Produced by Special Arrangement with Dramatists, Inc.


I've heard it's hilarious. The Daily Iowan review is here.


______________________________________________


Meanwhile, if you're thinking about getting onstage, why not try it? These should do nicely:



The Seven Year Itch

By George Axelrod

Directed By Rachael Lindhart

March 3, 4, 10, 11 at 8 pm
March 5, 12 at 2:30 pm


A professional bookreader's resolve to neither carouse nor filander during a temporary bachelorhood is tested by his overactive imagination and the appearance of a delightfully unconventional upstairs neighbor.

Performed at Exhibition Hall on the Johnson County 4H Fairgrounds.

Tickets will go on sale three weeks prior to opening night and will be available through the ICCT Box Office (319-338-0443).

Auditions for The Seven Year Itch, the 1950’s comedy by George Axelrod, will be held on Monday, December 12 and Tuesday, December 13, in Room A of the Iowa City Public Library. Time: 7:00 – 9:30 p.m. Callbacks may be scheduled for Room B in the Library at 7:00 on Thursday, December 15.

Roles are available for
5 women – ages 20 - 40
3 men – ages 30 -50

Performance dates are March 3-5 and 10-12.

Copies of the script will be available for examination at the Iowa City Public Library Reference Desk beginning November 1.

Actors who are unable to attend scheduled auditions may call Rachael Lindhart at 337-2206 or Gerry Roe at 335-5349 (days) or 351-4952 (evenings).




Little Mary Sunshine


Book, Music and Lyrics by Rick Besoyan
Directed by Pauline Tyer

February 17-26, 2006


One of the most successful Off Broadway stage shows, it played to packed houses in Greenwich Village for almost three years and won every award for its score and enchanting performance. It was billed as "a musical about an old operetta"---a musical spoof of old time favorites like "Rose Marie" and "Naughty Marietta"-- but gently kidded and made delightful in its own right. With its deliberately corny songs and naive situations, it pokes fun at all the clichés of the innocent musicals our grandparents enjoyed, but it is done freshly and with flair.

Produced by Special Arrangement with Samuel French, Inc.

Auditions continued - Sunday, Dec 11, 5 - 7 pm, Community of Christ Church, 121 South Ridge Dr, Coralville. Please bring a short selection to sing and be prepared for a dance audition.

______________________________________________


I have it on good authority that there are at least two theater-type parties going on this weekend, and for a small bribe I might be persuaded to fork over the details . . .

No comments: