Wednesday, November 02, 2005

For What It's Worth

My preliminary opinion on Alito, having read summaries of his decisions, the actual text of a few cases, and a bunch of blogs and editorials:

He isn't the antichrist many people are trying to paint him. But he is a conservative male pick, and may have been Bush's favorite all along.

It's quite possible Bush did push Meiers only to distract from the "Yep, I'm appointing two men," thing: choosing a relatively unqualified female to force the democrats to reject her, and then using that rejection to portray the dems as unwilling to accept any candidate when they complain about the gender of a qualified male.

I think Alito is a tad too straight constructionist for my taste. I'm not rabid against him, but I'm not fond of the pick, either. I'd vote him down, but I don't think it's the showdown everyone's making it out to be. Couldn't we avoid engaging in the full-blown dog-and-pony show?

Yep, I know. Both sides hate me now. So what else is new?? More fodder for Forbes, I guess.


___________________________


(The Forbes anti-blog article is here. Try using the bugmenot login / password "forbesdontbug", it was working last I checked. The article is a scream:
Blogs started a few years ago as a simple way for people to keep online diaries. Suddenly they are the ultimate vehicle for brand-bashing, personal attacks, political extremism and smear campaigns. . . . . Bloggers are more of a threat than people realize, and they are only going to get more toxic. This is the new reality.

Yep. We bad.)

No comments: