Friday, February 25, 2005

Theater Blogging

So, we're heading into the final week before Hedda Gabler goes up this Friday. The stress is on, and I thought I'd blog periodically about the process.

First, the cast and crew. With a few exceptions, we all pretty much knew and/or had worked with each other before, and (thank God) there are no divas, freaks, or otherwise snarky people involved with this production. We all crack each other up and have a good time, even when freaking about about the stress of pulling this off.

One example: my latest blooper. Last night we're doing our first consecutive run of the whole show, without stopping. We're on Act II, the scene where Hedda and Eilert Lovborg have a rather intimate conversation about their relationship. My line: ". . . . Because it seems to me that we were very close comrades - two good friends - you were so unguarded with me. You shared everything. You had no defenses." I was doing fine for the first part of the line, but blanked on "You shared everything." So my mind searches frantically for some word that will capture the "gist" of the phrase and let me move on. I come up with "You exposed everything. . . ." I don't think anyone could speak for about five minutes, we were all laughing too hard. Then Adam, grinning, starts to undo his jacket as he says his next line: "Isn't that what you wanted?"

We got our guns last night, too - check these out. Are they awesome, or what? Replica Italian dueling pistols. I have to shoot at the Judge during the second act, who due to the unfortunate illness of Ron Prosser, is now being played by our director, Greenman. Being the realist I am, I've been asking a bunch of questions about how a woman would hold the pistol and what I should do to simulate the kickback that would come from firing one. I think Ellen's going to let me shoot off a blank from one of our prop guns to get some idea of the feel of it.

I'm also trying some different ways to get into the mannerisms of the times. I've ordered an actual 19th-century-style corset, which should allow me to at least roughly simulate correct posture. Anyone who knows me personally can attest that I'm always perched on a chair with a leg curled under me or sideways or something. In Victorian times, apparently even crossing your legs at the knee was verboten, and leaning against the back of a chair was a definite no-no. Yikes. I've also had some problems reining in my stride, so the night before last I tried the old-fashioned method that women used to teach themselves how to walk like a "lady": I tied my legs together. It worked, though I took it off halfway through - actually, to be honest, I cut it off with scissors muttering obscenities under my breath - but the memory sensation lingered and I took smaller steps.

Last night we also got the rough beginnings of our costumes. I'd like personally to say that Theresa is awesome for finding these things. I get to wear this incredibly beautiful jacquard jacket that is so period it's freaking amazing. Greenman also looked very cool with a vest, coat and cravat. And Nelle's hat and cape were quite Dickensonian.

We have almost finished the set and gathering the props - Lu has been putting in huge blocks of time on this. I mean, twice as much time as I have, and she's not doing it for the applause, as she doesn't venture onstage at all during the show. But she deserves it anyway. The french doors open and close, we have a fainting couch (!) and we even managed to get an old parlor stove. Inside trivia: the portrait of General Gabler. We had to find an old guy from the time period. We blew up a portrait of Ibsen himself.

We're slowly getting to where we want to be on the whole acting/lines thing. I'm frustrated because I wanted to have lines and blocking over and done with at the beginning of the week, and be concentrating on perfecting small gestures, moods, motivation, and so forth by this time. But while I can recite the lines beautifully in the car, as you can see they still seem rather elusive when I'm onstage. We've got a line bash tonight, and any free time this weekend will be spent drilling them. Okay, most of the free time. Next week, life will be comprised solely of work, rehearsal and sleep. I just need some kind of yogic mantra to keep me from freaking out.

No comments: