Wednesday, February 16, 2005

More Political Spamming

Greenman notes that US conservatives are spamming Canadian officials to stop gay marriage.

WTF? Why do you really care what Canada does? And if you care about social issues in other countries, aren't things like genocide a tad more worrisome?

That said, I notice Greenman equates this to the UK spamming of US voters during last year's elections, which I blogged on at the time. See also the post at the Volokh Conspiracy. Sorry, but I disagree. Elected officials are supposed to get outraged letters from people who disagree with their political positions, that's part of the job. It's stupid and pointless in this case, but not inherently offensive. The UK campaign, on the other hand, bought the names and addresses of private citizens who never asked for notoriety and subjected them to a tongue-lashing about American politics. To me, that's the offensive part, though I'm not sure if it makes me a conservative or a nationalist? Ignoring You

No comments: