Monday, June 07, 2004

A real tribute from the Iowa Libertarian:



"I never voted for President Reagan. I was a registered Democrat at the time. God, was I a moron."



More Reagan memorial posts can be found at Tusk and Talon by Chad, Jeff and Don; TechCentralStation, Andrew Sullivan, Virginia Postrel, and James Lileks.



From Lilek's column:



“The people have spoken, the idiots,” I wrote in my journal after he was elected in 1980. I was living in a boarding house a block from the Valli, an English major at the U, a college paper columnist taking all the usual brave stances: Republicans are repressed hypocrites, Playboy insults women, etc. . . .



I am reminded of the thrill I got when I heard the words “Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall.” Because you can sum up Reagan’s legacy by polling any random high-schooler and reading that line.



“What wall?” they’d probably ask.



The wall, kid. You know: The Wall. The fortified gash. The thin lethal line that stood between tyranny and freedom. I mean, we lived in a time when there was a literal wall between those concepts, and we still didn’t get it."




I've nothing to add that hasn't been said better by others, so I'll refrain.

No comments: