Thursday, August 11, 2005

Theater Stuff

First, I can't resist linking to last week's this feature story on Catalyst Acting Company co-founder Jeff Shields.

(Hi, Jeff!!! Betcha thought you snuck one past me!)

The Catalyst website is here. The company doesn't have any plays in the works at the moment, but does hold a Cabaret every third Tuesday night at the Siren nightclub in Iowa City. This Tuesday, August 16th, is Las Vegas Night, and will feature Vegas-themed songs from local musical theater performers. There's a $3 cover to fundraise for the group.

Caveat: As I said before, after a few gin and tonics at the last cabaret, I agreed to perform at this one. "Come on," they said. "It's just fancy karaoke." Yep. Karaoke. With real musicians and professional singers. And me, going, "So, will somebody hit me when I'm supposed to come in?" Listen, I don't read music. I haven't sang since junior high choir. I don't even know what key my range is in. I reserve the right to chicken out.


After the little mix-up a while back, Book of Liz is finally coming back to Dreamwell this weekend:
Dreamwell is known for producing offbeat and innovative plays and The Book of Liz is no exception. Each of its four-member cast plays multiple characters in this hilarious comedy recounting the adventures of Sister Elizabeth Donderstock, who leaves the Amish-like community of Cluster Haven (known as the Squeamish) to find her way in the world after Reverend Tollhouse decides to allow meddling newcomer, Brother Brightbee to “improve” the production of cheese balls, Liz’ specialty and the foundation of the Cluster Haven economy.

Sister Donderstock is demoted to harvesting chives and decides to look beyond Cluster Haven to try her luck at finding a more rewarding existence. Along the way she meets Mr. Peanut (actually a Ukrainian woman named Oxana) who invites her to live with her family of Cockney-accented Ukrainian immigrants. They find a job for her at the Plymouth Crock Family Restaurant, a pilgrim-themed eatery run by recovering alcoholics. Surprisingly, Liz fits right in.

Back in Cluster Haven, things are not going well. Brother Brightbee can’t make a tasty cheese ball and sales are plummeting. Will Cluster Haven survive?

Directed by Jeff Shields

Cast:

Rev Tollhouse, Visil and Duncan - Kevin Burford
Elizabeth Donderstock - Chris Hunt
Sister Butterworth, Oxana, Cecily Cole, Visitor, Dr Ginley, Ms Foxley - Madonna Smith
Brother Nathaniel Brightbee, Yvone, Donny Polk, Rudy Bruton - Josh Sazon

Shows are 8:00 p.m. on August 12th and 13th, at the new Dreamwell space upstairs in Old Capitol mall. It's a cool space, check it out. I'm going tomorrow night. It's the funniest thing I saw last season, and I wouldn't miss it. Tickets are $12.00 for the general public, Seniors 65 and over $10.00, and $8.00 for students (with ID), and can be picked up and paid for (by cash or check only) the night of the show. You can order online at the Dreamwell site.

UPDATE: The Caberet has been cancelled. No, it wasn't my singing.

No comments: