Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Katrina

Hurricane blogging from Ernie the Attorney:
So I tried to leave New Orleans today at 12:30 pm but after 4 hours of driving I had only made it 15 miles. I was alone and tired so I decided the safe play was to return. It's kind of sad when the 'safe play' is to go back and wait to be pounded by the gnashing fury of a Category 5 hurricane.


That was Sunday. As of this morning a friend posted:
Making a break for it. At this point he is looking to escape the city - we are working in concert with state hotlines (if we can get thru), the news, the Internet and The Only Vincent to see if we can work him out of there somehow. Most roads are closed, water is rising and it's just getting uglier. If anyone can comment on open roads, known (and safe) escape routes throughout the NW side of the city, please post asap. Helicopter anyone?

Say a prayer or two for him, and my friends Danette and Mark, who'd just brought home baby Ava from China when this all hit. I've not said anything about them, because I have no idea where they are or what's going on. The lack of emails seriously concerns me, last year, Danette kept us all posted throughout the whole Ivan ordeal.

UPDATE:
Here's how close they are to Lake Pontchartrain.























She's about 4.6 miles from the 17th Street Canal. The levee on the 17th Street canal broke this morning.

UPDATE UPDATE
Got an email from Danette: they evacuated to Houston. Whew.

No comments: