Thursday, May 25, 2006

Personal Aside

Okay, first: I've officially turned in my resignation, effective sometime mid-June.

w00t!

No, I don't have another position yet, which has a lot to do with the fact I'm not licensed in Illinois yet. Once I get all my references back (yes, I'm talking to you, "Not the Moonbat") then I should be admitted via reciprocity within a week or two. However, my lease is up in July and it's time to go.

That said - I can make the commute back in just over three hours (you didn't hear that, Brent), so I will be coming back for shows, poker nights, and anything else that sounds fun, so don't you dare take me off any email lists.

Yep, I am a tad bit nuts. But I've got some time to use as a sabbatical, and the money put aside to make sure I can do things like pay rent and eat in the meantime, and a couple of places to crash until I can get an apartment, so, hey, why not?

In looking at my options on what to do next, I've done a little more research into the personality types. The idea is to figure out not only what I can do, but what I might actually like doing. A concept, no? The results have been . . . um . . . interesting.

One source summed it all up this way:
ENFP


outgoing, social, disorganized, easily talked into doing silly things, spontaneous, wild and crazy, acts without thinking, good at getting people to have fun, pleasure seeking, irresponsible, physically affectionate, risk taker, thrill seeker, likely to have or want a tattoo, adventurous, unprepared, attention seeking, hyperactive, irrational, loves crowds, rule breaker, prone to losing things, seductive, easily distracted, open, revealing, comfortable in unfamiliar situations, attracted to strange things, non punctual, likes to stand out, likes to try new things, fun seeker, unconventional, energetic, impulsive, empathetic, dangerous, loving, attachment prone, prone to fantasy

favored careers:
performer, actor, entertainer, songwriter, musician, filmmaker, comedian, radio broadcaster/dj, some job related to theater/drama, poet, music journalist, work in fashion industry, singer, movie producer, playwright, bartender, comic book author, work in television, dancer, artist, record store owner, model, freelance artist, teacher (art, drama, music), writer, painter, massage therapist, costume designer, choreographer, make up artist

disfavored careers:
data analyst, scientist, researcher, financial advisor, business analyst, govt employee, office manager, mathematician, investment banker, office worker, computer tech, it professional, network engineer, strategist

This might explain why I'm fairly regularly asked, generally with a dubious tone of voice, "Are you sure you're a lawyer?" Particularly after I do things like get a navel ring or appear in, erm, 'interesting' clothing in a production. (Sigh). I then tried another source, which basically says the same thing, only more nicely (and more coherently):
ENFP - The Visionary


ENFPs are initiators of change who are keenly perceptive of possibilities, and who energize and stimulate through their contagious enthusiasm. They prefer the start-up phase of a project or relationship, and are tireless in the pursuit of new-found interests. ENFPs are able to anticipate the needs of others and to offer them needed help and appreciation. They bring zest, joy, liveliness, and fun to all aspects of their lives. They are at their best in situations that are fluid and changing, and that allow them to express their creativity and use their charisma.

ENFPs enjoy drawing, writing, playacting, and dreaming. They are often chosen as leaders because of their persuasive enthusiasm and their energy for new and different ways of developing things.

ENFP to be too narrow a focus. They hate to be boxed into a career for life and therefore hesitate and resist making decisions. . . . . Often when a decision is made, ENFPs will still leave a number of options open or change their minds as they encounter new information.

ENFPs are more likely than other types to change from one career to another, demonstrating their versatility in doing so. It is not uncommon to hear stories of ENFPs who have established themselves in a career and who, when faced with the daily routine of maintaining it, leave it to start another.

For ENFPs nothing occurs which does not have some significance, and they have an uncanny sense of the motivations of others. This gives them a talent for seeing life as an exciting drama, pregnant with possibilities for both good and evil.

They live in readiness for emergencies; because they have this facility, they assume this is true for others. They can become bored rather quickly with both situations and people, and resist repeating experiences. They enjoy the process of creating something - an idea or a project - but are not as interested in the follow-through. They are typically enthusiastic, and this is contagious.

Yet this type is marked with a fierce independence, repudiating any kind of subordination, either in themselves or in others in relation to them.

While ENFPs resist the notion of others becoming dependent or having power over them . . . [they] constantly find themselves surrounded by others who look toward the ENFP for wisdom, inspiration, courage, leadership, and so on - an expectancy which, at times, weighs rather heavily on an ENFP.

ENFPs make excellent salespeople, advertising people, politicians, screen or play writers, and in general are attracted to the interpretative arts, particularly character acting.

ENFPs may find it difficult to work within the constraints of an institution, especially in following rules, regulations, and standard operating procedures. More frequently, institutional procedures and policies are targets to be challenged and bent by the will of an ENFP.

The ENFP is into everything, frisky, not unlike a puppy, sniffing around to see what's new. ENFP has to be in on everything, can't bear to be left out of anything.


Well, I guess if anyone is puzzled by the eclectic nature of this blog and the sporadic posting, this might explain things. And if anyone wonders why I've considered driving three hundred miles back for rehearsals just for the chance to do one more show . . . see above.

As far as helpfulness goes, I'm not so sure how to take this. Basically, it tells me I'm tempermentally unfit for anything that makes real money. Including most legal positions. Ooookay. I suppose litigation, negotiations, or maybe some non-profit crusading might slide in there somewhere, and I admit I would enjoy that kind of thing the most. God help me if I find myself chained to a desk doing tax returns (sorry, Joe), routine document reviews, or mundane research - probably why I always knew I'd never make it as a biglaw associate. If I had the grades for it, I'd try to teach. Hey, I could absolutely guarantee that I wouldn't be boring. Unfortunately, I was pretty much a "B" level in law school, except for courses that allowed creativity (Trial Ad) or papers rather than finals (Ethics). I just seemed to work better when I could put something into the context of an oral argument, or a persuasive paper . . . . which I suppose would again be a function of the personality stuff.

(Sigh)

On a side note, I love this "prayer" typifying ENFP's:
ENFP: God, help me to keep my mind on one th - Look, a bird! - ing at a time.

No comments: