Thursday, September 30, 2004

We're Everywhere

Greenman has pointed out two more Iowa blogs, Thoughts from the Oasis in the Corn and On the Stage, both theater-related. I had no idea Matt Falduto blogged. If you count mine, as I've recently done a Dreamwell show, that makes three blogs in that relatively small theater company. How cool! It's so fun to run across people you know in the "real world" again in the vastness of cyberspace.



In reading his blog, Matt's got a thoughtful post on the use of real names online. It's true that it's a risk: once you go online you enlarge your circle of potential stalker-type people from your immediate geographical area to encompass any idiot with a computer worldwide. Anyone with basic Google/telephone search capabilities can generally come up with your address and a handy map to your home. Particularly as a female, I seriously debated going the pseudonym route based on safety issues.



But I don't like the idea of being afraid, and the number of bloggers out there is so high that I feel the statistical likelihood of being a target is, in my opinion, a doable risk.



Besides, I want credit for my snarky opinions, d*mn it. If I ever say anything intelligent, I want the world to know about it. Just be sure to let me know, too. Wouldn't want to miss out.

No comments: