Sunday, October 05, 2008

Keeping Score

I checked in on candidates on Politifact, now we've been through the first round of debates for both President and VP. I divided it into two categories: Halfway true or better vs. Barely true to Pants on Fire. Here's the scores:

McCain - Halfway true or better: 70. Barely true to Pants on Fire: 58.
(45% of claims reviewed were "barely true" or worse).
Number of "pants on fire" - 6.

Obama - Halfway true or better: 98. Barely true to Pants on Fire: 37.
(27% of claims reviewed were "barely true" or worse).
Number of "pants on fire" - 1.

Palin - Halfway true or better: 12. Barely true to Pants on Fire: 5.
(29% of claims reviewed were "barely true" or worse).
Number of "pants on fire" - 0.

Biden - Halfway true or better: 18. Barely true to Pants on Fire: 12.
(40% of claims reviewed were "barely true" or worse).
Number of "pants on fire" - 2.

So as I see it, out of the claims checked, McCain has the worst problem with lying, with Biden coming in second. Palin is third, and Obama a close fourth.

I've perused their factchecking and I generally agree with the calls.

As I need to not only decide who has the best policy, but who is likely telling me the truth about their policy, I'm following these statistics closely.

Have I mentioned candidates who lie piss me off?

No comments: