Thursday, July 21, 2005

Meme Too

via Matt and Homercles - The Fives Meme:

What I was doing ten years ago:
Starting my very first job as a newly-licensed attorney. Wow. I'd just married, and had wanted to move out of state. Didn't work that way so much, 'cause the ex just wouldn't go. I did succeed in getting about three hours away, but was living by myself in a really cool victorian house. Got my dog to keep me company. Drove back on the weekends to see people. The work was cool, I was the only assistant county attorney so I got to do a little of everything. My first case: over the limit squirrel hunting. I wasn't even aware one would want to hunt squirrels, much less that there was a limit on the little bastards.

What I was doing five years ago:
By that time, I'd moved into my current house and was working in another prosecutorial position. I had just heard about my current position, with a hefty raise and the idea of not having to appear in front of peculiar judges and work in a very, um, stressful environment. I was seriously contemplating jumping ship even though it meant not appearing in court anymore and re-learning torts, insurance law and civil procedure.

One year ago:
I had just separated from the ex the second time and filed for divorce. My plan was to sell the house and re-evaluate what I wanted to do with my life. Visions of doing a writer's workshop and travel floated through my brain. I was trying to figure out if I could combine things so I could get back into the courtroom. I was just about to find out about my mother's having cancer, and had no idea relatives all around me would be dropping like flies for the foreseeable future. Sometimes it's a blessing you don't know what's coming.

Yesterday:
Worked, then went to Catalyst's cabaret fundraiser. No, not that kind of cabaret. People in nice clothing singing broadway hits. Kind of a glorified karaoke. After a few gin and tonics and a promise from a friend to coach me, I agreed to perform one song at the next one. But I'm going to see if people forget about that one . . .

Five snacks I enjoy:
Nachos sans refried beans. Peanut butter on saltine crackers. Kettle-cooked potato chips. Bread with that fun dipping oil. Cheese.

Five songs I know the words to:
Good lord, about anything I like. I have this awful proclivity for getting song lyrics indelibly printed into my brain.

Five things I'd do with $100,000,000
Pay off all debts. Pay off my dad's and sibling's debts. Buy a car I actually like. Take a huge honking tour of exotic locations with one hell of a wardrobe. Fund a show or two. Go out on my own so I can not answer to anybody, ever.

Five locations I'd like to run away to:
Europe, Asia, North and South America, Africa. Specific enough for you? Seriously, I'd be dangerous if I really had money to travel. I want to see, like, everything. Twice.

Five things I like doing:
Reading, acting, writing, trying all kinds of new activities/places - basically exploring the world, and having intense debate-style conversations with good friends who don't take themselves too seriously.

Five bad habits I have:
Being way too self-critical, trying to do too much so I've never got enough time to devote to any one thing, spending too much on clothes/makeup/hair (it's an investment, dammit), trying to fix things that are out of my control, and, let's face it, blogging.

Five TV shows I like:
Battlestar Galactica, Sex in the City, and from there on in it's pretty much just movies these days.

Five biggest joys of the moment:
Contemplating what I want to do with the future once all the current ickiness is over. Acting. Being with people who make me laugh so hard the beverage I'm drinking flies out my nose. Lying on the beach.

Five favorite toys:
Now or in the past? When I was a kid: Atari (yep, I'm that old, cool arty-crafty supply things, barbie dolls (I can admit that), my roller skates, and board games like Clue, Monopoly, and so on. Now: my MP3 player, my laptop, Tivo, and my grown-up arty-crafty-barbie supplies like makeup, jewelry-making stuff, painting stuff and so on. Toys have gotten much more expensive as I age.

TMI or what?

No comments: