Monday, July 19, 2004

This article indicates that sex once a week is worth $50,000 per year in happiness. I'd make a joke about upping my rates, but that would just be tacky. The story itself did drop into the tacky zone. The headline: "Money Buys Happiness, But Not Sex." Obviously they've never been on Rush Street.



The story goes on to state that the happiness marriage brings is worth $100,000 per year (so could homosexuals not allowed to marry sue for damages?) and a divorce costs you $60,000 in happiness per year.



Obviously this is one of those splashy pseudo-studies, but it doesn't even seem particularly well thought-out. For example, how do the factors relate? I mean, presume I am married and have sex once a week. Does that mean I have $150,000 in happiness? If I then get divorced, but keep the sex up, am I now at -$10,000 per year in happiness? Is it better, then, to have never been married, just date steadily and take the $50,000 per year in happiness points it gives you?



If you comment to the affirmative and are married, may I suggest using a pseudonym?

No comments: