Thursday, July 08, 2004

Combine live theater with Monty Python and everyone wins.



According to the Chicago Tribune (registration required, sorry), David Hyde Pierce, Tim Curry and Hank Azaria have signed to star in the musical "Monty Python's Spamalot." The Mike Nichols-directed show, based on the fabulously chaotic 1975 film "Monty Python and the Holy Grail," will begin its pre-Broadway tryout at the Chicago Shubert Theatre Dec. 21. "Spamalot" is expected to end its Chicago run Jan. 16, begin previews Feb. 7 at the midtown Manhattan Shubert Theatre, and open March 10, according to Broadway in Chicago.



Key quote:



"He leaked one detail regarding the stage version, relating to the knights' encounter with the sniveling Frenchman played on the screen by John Cleese: 'Remember the cow that gets flung over the wall? The cow has a song. That's all I'm saying.'"



I got a picture of that in my head and I can't stop giggling. I think I'm definitely going to have to see this somehow. On a side note, you can find complete copies of the Python scripts here. Impress your friends, memorize the parrot sketch. Maybe not.

No comments: