Monday, May 17, 2004

I've got a ton of work to catch up on, so I'm squeezing blogging in between projects. Cop Talk has a post up about the difficulty in dealing with death and despair. That is the occupational hazard I think is the most likely to lead to complete burnout. In my past career incarnations as a prosecutor, I've had to do both juvenile and domestic violence law. These occupations put you into indescribably atrocious situations, and requires you to be the voice of reason, when all you really want to do is take the perpetrator out and do the whole "eye for an eye" bit on them.



On the rare occasions that you can truly make a difference, there is no better job to have. Once or twice I'd run into people who were victims or relatives that thanked me for turning their lives around, and I felt like I was flying the rest of the day. But the majority of the time, it's as though you are trying to wipe up the ocean with a kleenex. Hang in there, Brent. The world needs good cops.

No comments: