Thursday, August 12, 2004

Don at Tusk and Talon posts on the Governor's own "no child left behind" plan. Key quote:



"The Iowa Learns Council no doubt conducted a thorough, objective and open-minded study of the needs of Iowa’s pre-school children before deciding that it should go along with its mission statement that says,



“The Iowa Learns Council plans to work toward achieving two primary goals: that 90 percent of Iowa children will have a quality preschool experience, and 90 percent of Iowa high school graduates will complete at least two years of college.”



In other words, the ILC believes: 'Between two and twenty, 90 percent of your children belong in institutions.'"




I understand making day care available to parents who need it, but why promote it for those who don't? I'm moving out of the age range when people ask if I'll ever have kids (answer: don't hold your breath), but in response I'd always point to my work schedule. If I had to wake a kid up at 6:30 to drop him/her off at daycare by 7:30, pick him/her up again at 6:30, with a reasonable bed time of 9:00, I'd be spending a grand total of three and a half hours a day with the child. I don't think that would be enough to qualify it as "my" child, regardless of biology. I'm much better off getting a pet.



I understand many people can and do make this kind of thing work. But to make it a goal?

No comments: