Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Vindicated

You may recall this excerpt from my former blog:
Computer Analysis
This article in Wired News indicates that Dartmouth College has a developed a statistical analysis algorithm that allows a computer to tell the identity of a work's true artist. I hope it works better than the Gender Genie, another test based on a scientific algorithm, which when fed excerpts from my blog back in September, decided I was male:

Female Score: 2363
Male Score: 4600

The Gender Genie thinks the author of this passage is: male!

Am I right? The author of this passage is actually:

male

female


Hmm - twice as male as I am female?? I politely correct the genie, and receive this comment:

That is one butch chick.

According to Koppel and Argamon, the algorithm should predict the gender of the author approximately 80% of the time.

Well, gender genie still believes I'm a boy. I've tried three written posts (not just link roundups or quizzes) of the requisite length (500+ words) that are recent enough to be still on the front page, and all of them tested decidedly male.

But . . .

I ran across the He/She Ratio. It's supposed to assess a site's preference by simply counting the number of times it uses the word "he" as versus "she". The results?

Usage of "he" vs "she" on sidenotesanddetours.blogspot.com (25%/ 75%)
Ha! Take that, "Gender Genie." If the long hair, silky skirts, and strappy heels didn't tip you off, the He/She Ratio proves it: I's a girl.

No comments: