Monday, May 08, 2006

Semi-Theater Blogging

So I had my second single sword class with these fun people. If you're interested in that kind of thing, I highly recommend Jason as a teacher. I've never been the most coordinated person on the planet, and I was never good at dance or sports, so this is very difficult for me.

(Okay, and I might also have to confess to that whole "type A" thing to the extent that I hate being the slow one in a class, I'm rather competitive that way. But I have no choice this time, everyone else has been doing this stuff for a while.)

Fortunately, they're also very patient people and all help out to try to explain things so that they'll translate into my brain. I did these rolling fives for a good twenty minutes and finally got my grip basically right. When we moved on, I was getting very annoyed at myself for not being able to remember the short bit of choreographed swordplay we were supposed to learn. Then it was pointed out that after that many repetitions (I was probably well into 45 minutes of it), my body knew what to do from memory. I just needed to stop thinking about it. And as soon as I tried that, it worked. It wasn't pretty, but I did it twice through without a mistake. Woot!

No comments: